Tax refund prior to claiming bankruptcy

April 18th, 2011 by Questions

I am looking into claiming bankruptcy. I’m a single parent and recently unemployed. I received a refund on my 2009 taxes and also on my 2010 taxes. Will I be required to pay that money back to the Licensed Insolvency Trustee when I decide to file for bankruptcy?

Posted from: British Columbia


One Response to “Tax refund prior to claiming bankruptcy”

, Barton Goth - Goth & Company Inc. -Trustee in Bankruptcy said:

The only time you would have to pay that money back is if you did something innappropriate with the monies received. For example, if on the eve of bankruptcy you paid your mother back $5,000 you owed her and didn’t give the same treatment to the rest of the creditors. As long as you didn’t do anything questionable with the monies then you shouldn’t have any issues when it coes to filing a bankruptcy.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)