child support

September 22nd, 2010 by Questions

My common law girlfriend is about to go through a bitter child support fight with her ex. if she wins she will be entitled to a possible substantial sum of money. As it would be considered household income would I still be penalized for it? Also would it automatically extend my bankruptcy? amount would be in excess of $5000.

Posted from: Ontario


One Response to “child support”

, A licensed trustee said:

If she receives the payment as monthly support then the amount will be added to your household income. If it is a lumpsum award then it probably won’t be classed as surplus – this is the sort of thing you want to discuss with your trustee BEFORE you file. That way there won’t be any surprises…

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)