Want to file but don`t live in Canada anymore

April 6th, 2010 by Questions


I had started off with a consumer proposal but wasn`t able to maintain it after losing my job. I`ve been hugely delinquent since 2008 and haven`t actually lived in Canada since that time either but I need to file for bankruptcy now as it`s out of control. Is it possible for me to file from outside of Canada? If so, how do I go about doing that?


Posted from: Ontario


One Response to “Want to file but don`t live in Canada anymore”

, Barton Goth - Goth & Company Inc. -Trustee in Bankruptcy said:

Technically filing a bankruptcy from outside of Canada is only possible for you to file if you have resided in Canada within the last 12 months, or own any property in Canada. If you can fulfill either of these two criteria then you shouldn’t have any trouble. However, if you can’t meet this requirement you would have to re-establish residency.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)