Canadian living abroad

August 20th, 2007 by Questions

I am canadian and I have been living in Michigan for 2 years now. I have a green card and work full time. I still have an address in Quebec and all my canadian credit cards are under this address. I owe almost $20,000 to canadian credit cards (Master Card and Visa). I have been making payments up until now but I have now decided that I will file for bankruptcy. What is the best way to do it? As a canadian living abroad? or like if I was still living in Quebec without an income?


One Response to “Canadian living abroad”

, Barton Goth GCO Bankruptcy Trustees said:

Technically to be eligible to file for bankruptcy in Canada you need to either currently own property in Canada or have resided in Canada within the last 12 months. If you don’t qualify based on these requirements a trustee in the last city you resided in can request special permission from the Superintendent of Bankrutpcy to act as yoru trustee.

As a result it would be best for you to contact a local trustee in that last city your resided and discuss the situation directly with them.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)