Can I be forced to move to earn income?

March 1st, 2007 by Questions

I took an unpaid leave from my permanent job in Ontario to join my fiancee in Saskatchewan. I haven\’t been able to find anything but temporary work here, and can\’t pay my substantial bills. My old job just barely covered my loan payments when I lived for free with my parents in Ontario. Since I still have a relatively good job waiting for me in Ontario, my question is this; can I be forced to move back to Ontario to live with my parents and resume my old job in order to resume making payments? Or is it up to me to choose whether I want the frying pan or the fire? Is a consumer proposal an option for someone in this sort of situtation (permanently employed, but not bringing in any income)?


One Response to “Can I be forced to move to earn income?”

, A licensed trustee said:

I don’t think we’ve ever been asked this question before – no, you can’t be forced to move so that you can return to work and therefore make payments towards your debts.

Your creditors hav the right tio expect payments and to pursue you through the Courts if you don’t pay. Your creditors do not have the right to tell you where to work, or where to live or anything else along those lines.

In regards to your proposal question, you do not have to be employed to file a proposal, BUT you do have to expalin how you’ll make your payments if you aren’t working.

Find a trustee in Saskatchewan and give them a call – they shoudl be able to explain your options so that you can make an informed decision about what’s best for you.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)