Owed back taxes

January 11th, 2007 by Questions

I had owed taxes for the year ending 2005 but i had filed a consumer proposal in 2006, listing my 2005 income tax payable as one of the liabilities that i would like to have eliminated…i was under the understanding that i didn\’t have to pay any taxes for that year…however, i had recently received a tax reassessment, saying that i actually owe more taxes than previously stated…would this be a moot point, given the consumer proposal? ie. ignore the notice in the mail and forget about paying any taxes to the government?


One Response to “Owed back taxes”

, A licensed trustee said:

Don’t ignore the notices – you are correct that your proposal will deal with the debt, but you need to take the steps to ensure that happens. Send a copy of the notice you received to your trustee and ask them to follow-up on it for you.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)