Student Loan

August 16th, 2006 by Questions

I have an outstanding student loan that I have not made a payment towards for over 6 years. I left an abusive relationship at the time and I am now struggling with MS. That has forced me into not working. I am aware of the the 10 year rule on bankruptcy and student loan debt. However in circumstances such as mine is there exceptions?


One Response to “Student Loan”

, A licensed trustee said:

At the current time, there are not any exceptions. You need to have been out of school for 10 years for a bankruptcy to deal with your student debt.

That is not to say that you can’t try to get the Court to make an exception in your case. To do so you would havw to file an assignment and then make a motion before the Court to have your non-dischargeable student debt discharged. It’s the sort of thing you would require a lawyer for – it may not be appropriate for your trustee to make this kind of motion.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)