living in US

August 3rd, 2005 by Questions


I am a canadian citizen living in the USA now, I have problems with my debt and need to find out how to declare banruptcy in Canada from the USA.


One Response to “living in US”

, A licensed trustee said:

To file for bankruptcy in Canada, you must meet personally with a Canadian trustee, who will assess your situation. Therefore, to go bankrupt in Canada, you must return to Canada, at least temporarily. In addition, you must attend two credit counselling sessions during your bankruptcy, and you may be required to attend a creditors’ meeting, all of which would occur in Canada.

If you are permanently living in the US, it is unlikely that your Canadian creditors will pursue you legally in the US, so another option would be to do nothing until it becomes necessary to file.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)