No record of the discharge on the credit report

April 9th, 2015 by Questions

Having been discharged and given the Certificate of discharge and supporting legal documents, what happens next?
Four months after my release I requested a credit report from the TransUnion offices in Burlington ON and there was no record of the discharge. Is my Trustee negligent?

Posted from: Ontario


One Response to “No record of the discharge on the credit report”

, Doug Stuive, CA | Trustee | CIRP said:

Your discharge certificate is filed by the Trustee with the Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy (“OSB”). This government agency has a service agreement with the credit bureaux. The credit bureaux can access those records and this is how your bankruptcy filing and your discharge are updated on your credit report. Bankruptcy trustees cannot access or update your credit report- they cannot even do a credit check on your behalf. If you see that your discharge is not showing, you can file an Update Form with the credit bureau, along with a copy of your discharge certificate, and request that they update this information. You should also check to make sure that the creditors from your bankruptcy are listed as included in your bankruptcy and that they are not reporting as active and collectable. If they are not reporting properly you can fill out an Error or Discrepancy Form and file it with the credit bureaux.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)