Free Consultation

Spousal Tax Impact

My spouse declared and was discharged from bankruptcy all in 2013. Am I able to claim the childcare deduction as the higher income earning spouse, given his situation for 2013? Is there any tax relief for a spouse in this situation? i.e. claiming credits of the bankrupt spouse, etc?

Posted from: Alberta

One Response to “Spousal Tax Impact”

Jillian Taylor-Mancusi, Trustee | B.A. | C.I.R.P said...

Your spouse’s trustee will endeavour to claim any child care deduction that your spouse is entitled to on his post bankruptcy tax return. With respect to your own tax return you may wish to seek the advice of a tax specialist.