What do I do next

My boyfriend had a consultation for bankruptcy in 2007, he was a construction contractor and hadn’t done his taxes in a few years. He got scared with the amount he would have to pay back and met with a bankruptcy agent. He never went further than meeting once with a bankruptcy person.

We got a credit report last week since we would like to buy a home and bankruptcy is showing on the report. The lady at the bank said we need to get this off his credit report but we have no idea where to start. What does he have to do to remove it so we can move forward? Who can we talk to?
Thank you!

Posted from: Alberta

One Response to “What do I do next”

A licensed trustee said...

In order for that notation to appear on his credit report he would have had to have filed an assignment in bankruptcy. The credit report system is updated by the government based on people that have filed.

First, contact the Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy. They can give you details about the filing – what trustee he used, the assets and liabilities he disclosed to his trustee, etc., etc.

Second, contact the trustee that handled the file and ask them what your boyfriend has to do in order to be discharged now. Do whatever is required, appear in Court and hope the Court discharges him on the spot (instead of giving him a new list of additional things to do).

Sorry, but there’s no easy way out of this.