Taxes after discharge from Bankruptcy

I filed for bankruptcy in Feb 2011. My trustee filed my taxes for 2010 and 2011. I have since been discharged in 2013, month of May. My trustee said that I only need to file my taxes for two years with him. Can I just go ahead and file my 2012 taxes on my own? Do I need to inform CRA that I was bankrupt?

Posted from: Ontario

One Response to “Taxes after discharge from Bankruptcy”

A licensed trustee said...

Your trustee will generally file your taxes for the year you filed bankruptcy and any previous years (although only the immediately preceding year is required by law). All subsequent tax returns are your responsibility – you don’t need to do anything special with the returns – you file them normally. I can assure you that CRA knows about your bankruptcy and it remains on your tax payer history for ever.