Living abroad

November 10th, 2010 by Questions

I did research online that while living in the US (I`ve been living here 3 years) I could file here for my Canadian debts. I hired a bankruptcy lawyer here and did (I had not debt in the US), and now the Canadian debtors won`t accept my paper work. What option do I have?

Posted from: Ontario


One Response to “Living abroad”

, A licensed trustee said:

Unfortunately, you were mis-informed when you did your research and filed in the US. Your US filing protects you while you are in the US, but it does not have any ipact on your debts outside the US. If you want to clear up your Canadian debt then you have to avial yourself of Canadian laws…

Before you ask, you cannot file for bankruptcy protection in Canada from outside the country. You need to appear in person at a trustee’s office on a number of occasions over the course of the procedure which will run a minimum of 9 months to complete.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)