Income tax

December 31st, 2008 by Questions

I filed bankruptcy in 2007 and have been discharged since March 2008. I found some 2007 tax receipts for medical expenses, would I be able to claim those on my 2008 tax return? Thank you

Posted from: Ontario


One Response to “Income tax”

, A licensed trustee said:

You are allowed to claim any consequentive 12 month period on your income tax for medical expenses – you simply can’t report the same period on more than one return.

For example, if you claim June 15, 2007 to June 14, 2008 on this return, then next you can only claim receipts that occur after June 15, 2008….

I think you should talk to your trustee about this before you file – if you had significant medical expenses in 2007 and you used credit to pay for them then the refund should go to your creditors. CRA might notify your trustee of your claim and if you haven’t told them about it BEFORE you file it might get you in trouble later…

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)