Income Tax refund

April 9th, 2008 by Questions

I was discharged from my bankruptcy in 2004. I have recently refiled my income tax returns from 1997-present because of my daughters disability(did not know that I could claim that). They sent my refund from 1997-2004 to the Licensed Insolvency Trustee. I thought that once I was discharged I was all done with this. Were they within their rights to take this refund?


One Response to “Income Tax refund”

, A licensed trustee said:

All/any tax returns that relate the period BEFORE you filed for bankruptcy were signed over to your trustee as part of your bankruptcy. You may recall that your trustee filed your taxes for 2007 when you filed (and any other returns you hadn’t filed yet.

The reason the law is like this is to stop people from deliberately “under claiming” certain deductions and then going back after their discharge and correcting the error.

The additional funds will be sent along to your creditors by your trustee.

Please post a follow up comment below:

(Note: comments are reviewed by moderators and then posted after approval. In addition, due to high volume some of the comments might not be posted.)